7.03.2010

Made by Mom

I've been feeling crafty lately. My friend Nikki has an awesome Craft Blog where she has compiled some of her favorite tutorials from a whole slew of virtual places. I often go there and enjoy looking at all the amazing things people have created. Her website is where I met "Make it and Love it". This blog rocks my socks. I have found so many uses for clothes that are stained or too little for my kids. She even has re-use ideas for grown-up sized clothes. I can't wait until fall to make a skirt and legging set for Jade using some of my old clothes. I may never throw anything out again! Anyway, she recently featured some 4th of July clothes. I started getting a real hankerin' for making something patriotic for my children. I whipped up a couple of things for them this morning so that they can wear them to the celebrations we'll be having with family. I used one of the "Make it and Love it" tutorials for the dress. Both pieces were pretty simple and re-used some of the kids old stuff. I paid nothing for the clothes because I used stuff I scrounged up from my fabric box (which is now a giant heap of un-organized madness on my office/ craft room floor). It was so fun. I told Spencer that I should start sewing for the kids a lot because they appreciate it so much! I know that will not always be the case. Soon they'll believe that store-bought is far cooler. For now, it makes me smile to see them bouncing around in something made by Mom.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love the concept of "re-purposing" used items. It kind of makes me nauseated that everything these days is cheap and disposable. Reusing things = cool, crafty, conscientious, and thrifty. Plus you aren't exploiting small children in indonesia! You can concentrated on child labor in your own home. Anyway, you are super cool Crystal. Happy fourth!

Tiffini said...

super cute! i love re-using what i thought was junk or unusable!

The Stanford Bunch said...

holy cuteness!!!

Kristi said...

When you said you were reusing old clothes to make new ones I was picturing ugly hobo stuff, but seriously the outfits are so cute! And that's a beautifully composed photo. I'll have to check out those sites. You're inspiring me!

Lynda said...

When the cuties came walking in the front door for our BBQ I immediately thought, Wow, those patriotic clothes turned out so great!
Thanks for sharing a beautiful picture with us. I love these two so much!

Terra said...

Thanks for the website tip! And those clothes for your kids turned out super cute!

Anonymous said...

I want to be that talented. I am not. So, I will live through your talent. Thanks! :)