7.24.2010

Pet-Impaired

Go ahead and start pointing your finger and laughing now. I must be the most pet-impaired person on this planet. I really thought that Paige would last, but alas... She was so cute and so sweet most of the time. Then there were times that she was so hyper and crazy. Those were the times that our hand-skin suffered. I bought a PediPet filer for her and I also tried regular cat clippers. Both of those only resulted in a phenomenon I like to call, "Psycho Kitty". Think howling, hissing, twisting, scratching, biting, crazy eyes... you get the picture.  She doesn't take well to pedicures. It was right after one of these "Psycho Kitty" moments that I started verbally expressing my frustration with the cat. Jade looked and me and said, "Mommy, I don't think you are a pet person." Where on Earth does a 4-yr-old pick up on something like that? But I have to admit, she is probably right. I just don't love animals enough to be patient with their flaws.  At Spencer's request, I was actually planning on keeping her and being patient while she grew up. That was until she decided to use Spencer's head as a climbing post to get up to the couch. With his scalp bleeding, he strongly expressed that we needed to declaw her or get rid of her. Well, with what I've studied about declawing, I really didn't want to do it. I know there are plenty of people who do, but I didn't have the heart to amputate her knuckles.  So, long story short, Paige is with another family now; sent away before most of our friends and family even got to see her. Seriously it's like I said... pet-impaired.

6 comments:

Johnna Jayne said...

Whew! Now I can finally tell you that I HATE cats. Also, I'll take this time to warn you that flying squirrels, birds-(parakeet, cockatoo, parrot), lizards, gerbils, fish, and mice are soooo not worth your trouble. I've had them all at one point or another. Darn animals, they sucker us in with their cuteness and then they poop all over us both literally and figuratively.

Anonymous said...

I love pets! High maintenance and all. However, I have had lots of exposure to people who shouldn't have pets that do. Trust me, it is kinder to accept that you are not good at keeping a pet then to keep going through them like disposable diapers. Even I have agonized over pets that didn't work out, because it generally isn't there fault and it really is unfair to them. I support your embrace of pet disliking! (BTW, kittens are psychopaths as a rule, that all usually resolves by adulthood)

Bryce D. said...

I think I know what you're looking for...just ask Nikki, she'll tell you. =)

Life at The Hadenfeldt's said...

Animals are too much work, maybe when the kids are grown up and we need some entertainment we will try again. We had a dog that got sick and we had to put him down and then we got a hairless cat, he was wonderful but, our daughter was allergic so now NO MORE ANIMALS in this house!

Micki said...

Ha ha. We had one kitty, a boy, and he was great, put up with one year old Kyler carting him around and everything. But he ran away and probably became coyote food. So we got another one that we thought was a boy, but it wasn't. She was meaner and snuck outside, got pregnant and had babies underneath our couch. She "ran away and became coyote food", too. :)

CCmomma said...

dude- i'm not a cat person and sometimes i wish our dog would run away but, then i see how good she is with the girls- my suggestion- have NO kids or older kids who have to put up with the training of a pet so it's not all on you!:)