3.22.2008

Songs o' the Irish

On Thursday, the kids and I had fun going to a little outdoor concert put on by the City of Mesa. It was two Irish men who played all sorts of instruments and sang a variety of Irish music. Much of it was like Irish pub songs that told silly stories and stuff and others were folk songs or instrumental pieces. It was fun. I think we might have been a minority since most attendees were over 65, but who cares. I'm totally in to doing stuff that a lot of young people would consider "nerdy". One of the women behind us, sweetly gave Braden and Jade a package of Cheetos from her little sack lunch provided by the assisted living home. They gobbled them right up. After awhile, the kids were getting hot and a little bored, so we found some shade near the water feature and took a couple pictures while the kids ate another snack. Braden was a little grumpy (as you can see by his refusal to give a smile) because he wanted to play in the water like some of the other little kids and I wouldn't let him. It was kind of driving me nuts. Here we are at the beautiful new Arts Center in downtown Mesa where there is a water feature that runs and meanders and falls all around the building. Here and there it goes under walkways and around various exterior features. To me it is clear that it is not a wading pool, but rather a piece of art to look at and listen to and visually enjoy. But I guess since there is no sign saying "Don't Play in the Water", it seemed fair game to the other parents and kids there. Am I the only one who finds this unacceptable? Anyway, after another family of kids came over and started climbing all over the "free public pool", we decided to head back to the car. All in all, it was really cool. I loved the music and spending time with my mom. There is something so fun and whimsical about the songs o' the Irish.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

My friend is sweedish. she says that in sweeden they let their kids strip naked and swim in all the fountains, and that the fountains here are a little odd because there aren't children playing in them.......... odd

Life at The Hadenfeldt's said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Life at The Hadenfeldt's said...

I don't like it either. I don't understand why some people have no respect.

Terra said...

Those were super-cute pictures of your kids in your last post!

Anonymous said...

GREAT PICTURES~ your mom is so photogenic. Why she hates her picture being taken I will never know! You are both beautiful .. and YEAH for breakin out of the Normal life routine for a little Irish Jigg exposure!

Unknown said...

People in AZ are sooo clueless about respecting art! I think we need something put out over the emergency broadcast system to instruct Arizonians about how to respect/appreciate art...lol! Good job on teaching the kids to not play on the art! We need more moms like you!