3.25.2008

I Fall

So, last night I jogged over to the Lilly's house to do an exercise video with Kara. I went directly into the kitchen upon arrival to get a drink (since I was a giant ball of wheezing, sweating, cotton mouthed exhaustion). Mike and Jill were in there cleaning up and Jill asked "Did you wear a helmet?" (a reference to the hard time I was giving Rose and Jake for not wearing helmets when they rode his motorcycle). I responded that ,"no, I don't jog THAT fast," to which Micheal piped in something to the affect of, "That makes you no less likely to get in an accident" (said with a teasing grin). As much as Micheal was joking, I have to confess that he is completely and totally right. I am truly a klutz sometimes. This realization was reaffirmed to me on Sunday. I had just enjoyed three hours of beautiful Easter messages, and it was time to go home. I walked down the hall to get Braden and Jade out of the nursery room. I looked pretty "springy" with a yellow floral skirt on and white heels with a green bow attached to the toe. I was about to the door when the unthinkable, unlikely, unfortunate, and not-so-uncommon thing occurred. I fell on my face. How did this happen? Well, of course, by some mysterious way, my high heel passed by my toe at the exact angle as to attach itself to the green loop of the decorative bow. So basically, my two shoes were tied together and I had nowhere to go but down. I got up quickly as a man from the ward said, "Are you OK?" He had a funny grin on his face like he was trying to suppress a very hearty laugh. I said, "I'm fine. My heel got stuck in my bow." To which he replied, "I saw that. Are you sure you're all right?" I felt like to only graceful way out of this was to make light of it, so I said with a smile, "I'm fine. I'm just glad the hall wasn't full of people. Only about two people saw me right?" Then he said, "Don't worry. I won't tell anyone." ... right. I would tell someone. I would laugh so hard if I saw someone do what I had done (assuming they hadn't hurt themselves, of course). Maybe he is more empathetic than I am. But anyway, that was really clumsy and awkward. So add this experience with the many times I've fallen off my heels, the curb, the steps... the time I fell backward into a tool box while taking a picture, the time I jogged on a pebble and rolled my ankle, or the time I stepped in a crack and broke my heel off of my shoe (I thought that only happens in movies) and it can only add up to one thing. Despite my efforts to be poised and graceful, I'm just a little klutzy. So please, if you can, catch me (or at least a picture of me) when I fall.

5 comments:

Cristi said...

You made me laugh hysterically! Thanks for sharing. I'm actually glad to know that I'm not alone in my utter klutziness! More often I trip over absolutely nothing. I just lose my balance or trip on the ground.

Anonymous said...

Your stories are so sincere and honest. I love it! I felt like I was there watching in the hall. Snickering of cource! I am glad to know that I am not alone in my lack of balance. I struggle with staying on my feet too. Must be a beach thing! Love you!

lrbodine said...

Such a funny story - especially since I think something similar has probably happened to all of us (whether we want to admit or not!)

Jessa said...

Don't worry Crystal...I have a weak ankle and I can't tell you how many times while just standing - not even walking or moving - It gives out and I fall sideways to the ground. My super compassionate husband usually responds with, "Did you just have a seizure???" Always the gentleman... So if I can't be fast enough to catch you, rest assured that I will probably be UNDER you to cushion your fall :)

Terra said...

I'm glad to know that I'm not the only one these things happen to. My freshman year was just about the worst. I kicked a soccer ball into a fire extinguisher case and broke the glass; I threw a football down the hall of the dorm and somehow hit the tiny itty-bitty heater control, causing it to get stuck on about a hundred degrees so that we had to have all our windows and doors open in the middle of winter until it was fixed; and pulled something out of the microwave which somehow caught on the microwave plate, causing everything to go crashing to the floor. Not to mention all the times I've just been walking and slammed into something.

By the way, are the shoes you're talking about the ones you got when you were going to someone's wedding, and made that purse with the green ribbon to go with them? Don't ask me how I remember that.