3.21.2008

Our Little Hike

This week was spring break for all the kids around here. I was really in the spring break mood and wanted to call up my super rad cousins from Cali and take an impromptu vacation and just chill in San Diego for a couple days. However, I realized that we really have no business spending all sorts of money on gas and food and stuff in the situation that we're in. So, instead I just made a special effort to do fun things out of the house with the kids (sorry, San Diego crew... I miss you guys). One of the things I got to do was go on a short hike with my kids and their aunt Jennifer. We went out to the San Tan mountains and it was so cool. We took a trail that was just littered with all sorts of rocks. This was perfect for Jen, since she has a rock collection. She loved finding the ones with sparkles all over them, and the "crystal" ones (any rock that was white or clear). Braden was thrilled about all the flowers and kept picking some for Jade. She'd hold on to them for a bit and eventually drop them, but it was cute anyway that he was looking out for her. The hike wasn't very long since it was a hot sunny day and I had forgotten sunscreen (duh!), but it was still nice to just be out in nature and watch the joy in the kids faces as they explored everything. We met two people with metal detectors who apparently were looking for gold. They were kind enough to take a picture for us (which I was grateful for because the self timer method had only produced a photo of our shoes, which aren't quite as interesting as our faces... I hope). We were all pretty hot by the end of the hike, so we went to Wendy's on the way home and shared two Frostys between us. The whole thing was so fun for me. Hopefully all the kids had just as much fun on our little hike.

2 comments:

lrbodine said...

Looks like a fun little hike! I always forget the sunscreen too. I need to keep one in my diaper bag, car, etc.

Anonymous said...

Thanks for taking Jennifer! You're the coolest!!!