Well now, this is fun. I was laughing inside today while I was on the phone. Laughing at my situation and myself. It was better than getting frustrated. I sent out an application recently to my kids elementary school because out of all the places in the world, that is where I'd like to be spending my working days. I like the way the school is run and I like the idea of being in the same world as my kids during their school hours. I also feel like I'd do great there. The same day that I sent the application I left a voicemail for the head of HR/assistant director of the school. In the voicemail I explained my desire to work there and some of my qualifications. I blundered through the entire message until the machine finally cut me off with, "You have exceeded the maximum message length, please hang up..." Click. Sigh. I just sounded like a complete moron (and my resume boasts of my great communication skills. Bah.). Grr. Oh well, the show goes on.
This morning I decided I needed to revisit the situation and try calling her again. Once again, I was greeted with the voicemail... dun dun dun. Why do I have such issues leaving coherent messages? Why do I freeze up after hearing a recorded voice? I'm not like that when I write, talk to people in person, or talk to people over the phone. Right? Right? So what is my malfunction?!!! Moving along. I left a much shorter message just reiterating my desire to work there and a request to know if there are any positions available. While I was closing up my message, my phone started beeping with an incoming call (as if I needed a distraction). So I left my phone number and strategically tried to say the numbers around the beeps so it wouldn't be cutting out when they played it back. I decided I'd better call and ask the front desk if the HR person was even in her office this week. While I was on the phone with the lady at the front desk asking her if she knew if there are any positions and getting an understanding of the situation at the school, I started hearing this sound, "MOM!!!, I DON'T HAVE ANY TOILET PAPER!," loud and clear. As I, quickly and in somewhat of a panic, walked into another room, hand over the phone receiver to shield the woman on the other end of the phone from hearing this totally natural but slightly embarrassing confession, I couldn't help but smile to myself a little. "MOM!!! MOM!!! MOM!!! I DON'T HAVE ANY TOILET PAPER! OHHHH, WAH! MOMMMMMMM!" So much for being professional. So much for illustrating why I'd be a good candidate working to help the children at the school. So much for me remembering to ask for more information. Ha ha. The good news is, I got the bean some toilet paper. Now, if I could just figuring out this juggling act.
(picture stolen from internet land, specifically from http://www.clarkkentslunchbox.com/. Sorry, dad blogger. It was a good picture.)
7.31.2012
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)



1 comment:
This is hilarious! I love the story!
Post a Comment