TV is has become so unimportant to me over the last year. I used to have a few shows that I liked to watch on a regular basis, but for a long long time I had no desire for any entertainment. To be honest, it was unbearable for me to see the immoral choices and lifestyles that people chose. It was so saddening. On TV there are no real consequences. On TV there is moral relativism that in real life causes pain and suffering which is conveniently disregarded on screen. Frankly, I can't stand the lies. So, when I discovered that my new living room arrangement made TV reception almost non-existent, I was not too disappointed.
However, since the start of the 2012 London Olympics, I've been disappointed. I love The Games. And, of course, there was no way to stream it online without paying for cable, so I was missing it! Last night I decided I couldn't stand it anymore. I got on my stomach on the floor and started messing with the antenna that was purposelessly collecting dust behind my media dresser. I moved it to the left, "No Signal". I moved it right, I flipped it backward, upside down, placed the connecting cable this way and that. Nothing. Finally I decided to actually pull it out in front of the dresser. It looks so ugly. My beautiful media dresser hides all my components. My TV is mounted nicely on the wall. The only visible sign of technology is the cords that come down from the TV in a neat group. And then the antenna. It's sitting in front of the media dresser pointing out into the living room. Ugly, but all of a sudden I can get all the local channels. The kids instantly watched a show on Qubo that they like and have been missing. And I got to watch the Olympics. I got to watch Rebecca Soni break a world record in the 200-meter breaststroke. I got to watch the USA earn another gold in the woman's 4X200 relay swim. I got to see Danell Leyva kill it on the Men's Horizontal Bar and then go snuggle in his famous towel. I got to see the looks of nervousness, determination, and unyielding zeal. I got to see the triumphant smiles and hear the athletes talk about how they want to push it just a little further, a little faster next time. These men and woman amaze me. I'm so glad that I'm able to take part (at least as much as one can while sitting on a squishy couch) in the spirit of the Olympic Games.
8.02.2012
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)



2 comments:
We LOVE the Olympics, too. I seriously felt like I did nothing else for 2 weeks. The daily routine included the Olympics as a MUST. : ) I stayed up too late every night watching it, and I think I saw all of the same events you listed. : ) The athletes and dedication amaze me, too. GO USA!
I have felt the same way about TV lately. In fact- I didn't even realize that we were missing the Olympics until they were almost over! I need to find the balance. We didn't have a working tv for a couple of months and finally figured out that all we needed was a new remote that would work with our tv. I hardly noticed that we couldn't watch tv until it came time for General Conference.
Congrats on Braden's baptism. What an important step for him to make.
You are amazing, Crystal!
Post a Comment