Oh Dear. I always thought I'd avoid being the stereotyped neglectful female car owner. My dad made sure I learned basic car maintenance when I was a young teenager. You know, replacing a tire, checking fluids, adding oil etc. This was good since I drove older cars as a teen and young adult and needed that knowledge. I'm happy that I know my way around the engine a little and I don't feel completely lost when I open the hood. But lately, I've come to a realization that despite this early training, I'm not very good to my car. Spencer lovingly complains that every time he drives my car it's fuel light is on. He doesn't mind filling it up for me, but it concerns him that I drive it until it is so low. He's right. I shouldn't do that. Then there are the tires; once in awhile I'll start feeling a tug or a rumble when I'm driving and I think, "Something is going on with my tires." So then, you know... 2 or 3 weeks later I take it in to Discount Tire Co. This is not only rough on the car, it's hazardous! And I KNOW this! As far as general car care is concerned, I wash the outside of my car about twice a year and it is nasty. It usually rains within a week after I wash it. I don't feel good about taking it to a car wash when I could just do it myself, but I never seem to find time to do it! I can say the inside gets cleaned regularly. However, this is only because I have a hyper-active nose that does not want to smell dirty socks and mysterious moldy snacks. All of these habits need improvement, but today my eyes were opened to the severity of my car-neglecting ways. For the last few weeks (before traveling to Flagstaff and back) my oil light has flickered on a tiny bit when I would drive Braden to school. I knew I needed oil. I intended to add some before Flagstaff, but my car took the back burner like it aways does and it never happened. So today I noticed the light again and knew that if I didn't want to destroy my engine that I needed to take care of this issue. My gas was also completely empty (as is customary), so I decided to hit up QT and then go to Walmart for the oil. I was just going to just add it myself, but I actually found a Walmart that was having an oil change special that cost as much as a jug of oil. I figured I'd let them change it for me. After waiting for a while, I hear this guy come in and say, "The Honda CRV needs to have a waiver signed." I poked my head out and they asked if I drove the CRV. "Yes, that's me." They then explained that the car didn't have a single drop of oil and that they needed me to sign a waiver exempting them from responsibility if my engine exploded after driving away. Wow. Awkward and embarrassing. It was then and there that I vowed to be better to my hard-working, neglected car.
9.09.2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


5 comments:
Wow! So I'm assuming it didn't blow up? :-)
I am the same way. I don't even notice weird noises. Mark will drive once in a while and say, do you hear that? And I'm like, uh, not really...is that ok? And I hardly ever even check the gas. We moms have a lot on our minds!
Oh my gosh--Wow is right! My car keeps overheating...it's been going on for months now. We keep topping off the fluids & waiting until we "have the money" to go get it checked out...I'd better pull the money before mine explodes, too, I guess. Haha! Glad your'e safe right now & not broken down somewhere on the side of the road. : )
Well, I'm glad it didn't blow up. Cars are such a pain to maintain. I think most people tend to procrastinate car stuff.
You have been blessed and have learned a valuable lesson too!
I am really lucky that Dad takes care of both of our vehicles! I just made him some "thank you" cookies and will add that to the list of the many things he does for us!
I'm glad you are safe too! Love You!
Well, an exploding car is way more interesting than a broken one. My car is like that as well, only without the clean interior. I KNOW it needs stuff done, but I never have the money for it, and unlike you, I do not have basic knowledge. I just have been putting a little in savings every month for car maintenance, and hopefully I will actually fix it before it explodes.
Post a Comment