8.02.2010
Operating on Bribes.
I know I'm a big grown-up now and have been for quite some time, but occasionally I feel like I have to treat myself like a little child. I have talked about my lists on here before. Making lists helps me to remain true to the good intentions I have at the beginning of my day or my week. I like to cross things off. I'm not going to say I'm happier when the list gets crossed off, but I am a lot more comfortable with myself when I've done a lot of productive things. (I'm working on measuring my personal value separately from my productivity, but that's a whole different blog). That being said, there are times when I don't want to do my list. I'd rather do something else. But, I have the responsibility of the list weighing on my mind and I know I will feel better after it's done. I will be more free to do things I enjoy more. That's when I start treating myself like a child. I tell myself, "Ok. You can have a snack after the kitchen is cleaned." Or, "You can go to Savers after all the bathrooms have been washed." Or, "If you can get the house spotless today, than you can go do something fun with a friend tomorrow." I do the same kinds of things to motivate my children. Sometimes I wonder if I should have grown up by now and found more enjoyment through my common duties. Nope. I'm still operating on bribes.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


6 comments:
well I am just not sure you will ever outgrow the bribes. I have to bribe myself as well. Although I think its more like the work is just the bleh part of life we have to do before we get to do all that fun stuff. like you have to bake the cake before you can eat it :)
Besides isn't that what our whole life is anyway? aren't we going through all these trials and tests, that we'd rather not do, but NEED to grow and become the people and strong spirits we want to become?
So "bribe" away I know I do :)
Whatever it takes to get the not-so-fun stuff done, right? I do it too. Sometimes the fact that the house is clean just isn't rewarding enough by itself, so I have to add something like chocolate in the reward system. :)
I am pretty sure that everyone does this .. or at least I do too! So you arent alone. Have faith in that ... you might be crazy and childish - but at least you arent lonely in it! :)
I think it is a very healthy and normal thing to do. Plus it is an excellent way to teach your children self-discipline and patience. To get a reward, you have to work for it!
I also have a love-hate relationship with lists. Sometimes I love them and sometimes I hate them. Rewards are great in my book!
It sounds like a well-balanced life to me! Good for you!
Love You!
Post a Comment