8.18.2008

Perfect Fit for Us!

I've been receiving various threats from not posting pictures of our "new" apartment. Frankly, there is still a lot to do to it, so that is where my hesitation lies. I have bigger plans than I have resources. But, in an effort to protect myself and my family, I have decided to post my apartment "stage one" pictures. I'm done decorating for awhile in my bedroom and the common areas of the house, so that is what I'll post. The kids room still has some unfinished projects, so there will have to be pictures of that later.
In all, I think the front room is fun, but turned out a little more cartoonish than I hoped it would. I'm hoping someday for more sophisticated art on the walls to balance off the funky curtains and rugs, but I had a small budget and had to work mostly with what I had, so it'll work for now. I also still need to fill the house with pictures of people we love.
In the bedroom, I wanted it to look casual but more grown up than the front room. I already had the modern bedspread, and a lot of classic art and knick knacks. Therefore, I had to mix it up and try to make it meld. I used a modern table runner I found for a "headboard" to anchor the bed. The end tables are really beat up, but I kind of liked it that way. So instead of re-painting, I just covered the tops with placemats that matched the table runner. That covered up the worst spots. I also showcased the awesome clock my mom made for us a couple years ago since it didn't really work in the family room. My guitar is displayed to pay tribute to my amazing talents (cough... ha ha ha... OK, I couldn't say that without laughing).

The kitchen didn't have a lot of decorating opportunities. However, I did have to be creative with space planning. There are not a ton of cabinets, and no pantry, so I tried to set up my dishes in a somewhat decorative way on the counters without compromising my work space. I'm happy with the result and the simplicity that came from getting rid of a few things I wasn't using and making a little space go a long way. The dining room is sparsely decorated, but I did get a great deal on these super rad bar stools which I absolutely love. Unfortunately for the kids, they are white and sometimes (as much as I hate to admit it), I am a little over-protective of my stools. They are just for adults.
So, thats the apartment. We're really liking it here. It's a quiet community but it also has a fun young vibe due to the pilot school that houses their students here and the nearby medical college. So far it's been a perfect fit for us!

10 comments:

kimberly said...

Wow! Your house is SO cute! I love it! Thanks for sharing. :-) I don't get manicures or pedicures very often (maybe once a year for a special event), but I know when I do I can't stop staring at them! lol! Yours look great and I'm sure you stare at them too! :-)

Unknown said...

Love the cutains and pictures!Its modern but it looks comfy and relaxing still! I would look for those clear plastic covers for your stools then you wouldn't have to worry so much about the kids getting on them

Anonymous said...

I'm so glad you finally posted pictures of your awesome new place. I can definitely see you in the decorating, it looks great Crystal!

Micki said...

you are quite the interior designer! Someday I'll get rid of all my hand-me-down furniture. Someday. . .

Unknown said...

I can't wait to see it in person!!! That front room is fabulous...I really don't think it's too "cartoonish." Ok, maybe a little. But I really like that pillow on your couch with the trees. Did you make that?
By the way, where did you find the stools for the bar? I really like them!
Anyway, I'll see you soon and I'm excited to see your place. I get home this Sunday you know! Take care sister!

Terra said...

Crystal, you are awesome. How about I send you some pictures of our house and you tell me what to do with it!

Anonymous said...

most importantly, you can feel the spirit in your home. Even through pictures ... just so you know - I love the pics and I cannot wait to see your house - whenever I get to. Hopfully soon and then I can come and see you more often when we move back to Cali too .. crossing fingers!!!

CCmomma said...

So cute and i love the black table. was that one you had and painted? You are so my idol at painting furniture! Love the nails too!

Jessica said...

YAY! It's AWESOME! You are So good at decorating--how cool is that that you're not going to ever have to spend a lot of money decorating because you do the best job ever without wasting lots of money! :)

Jessica said...

"t
\
\\


} ||ove, Taggert :)