olor coming from the bottom of the circle for legs, and then two HUGE circles inside the head for eyes. These "eyes" that he draws seriously take up the entire width of the head (if they don't hang over a little). Vertically, they take up about 3/4 of the face, and often the first "eye" he draws is bigger than the other (the second having to fit in the remaining space on the face). That is his basic person. The mouth and nose are secondary and he often doesn't draw them at all. The other evidence I have to suspect that he notices eyes over other facial features follows: I made some play dough for the kids and Braden was playing with it. He made a ball and then flattened it with my rolling pin. Then he held it up to his face and said, "Look, Mommy! This circle got so big! It's as big as my eye!" It was about 2.5 inches across... pretty consistent with his drawings. So, does he really think eyes are gigantic, or does the size simply reflect his skill level with drawing and play doughing?The other thing I've been thinking about started when I was doing some leg lifts on the floor. I was looking around the room as I did them in an attempt to distract myself from the pain, when I noticed something. My counter bar is hidious from underneath... exposed unfinished wood, screws, over-spray from painting the wall, etc. Then my eyes moved to my beloved stools... same thing. They looked unfinished under there. The same is true with the dining room table and computer desk. Then I got to thinking about the height of my kids. When they walk around the apartment, it must look so different for them. As I see tasteful pieces of furniture that pull the room together, they see a bunch of unfinished pieces and exposed lumber and screws. It just never occured to me before, and I actually thought that if I ever made furniture, I would make it interesting from underneath too. I wonder if we notice the change as we grow tall enough that we can't see underneath everything as we walk by? It's an interesting thought. Sometimes I think it would be cool to, for a short time, have the perspective of a little child.


4 comments:
That is so interesting. You know, I had a vague memory of a house I lived in when I was about my son's age (he is almost two.) I was asking my mom about it and I said "you must have really liked brown. I remember that everything in that house was brown." She looked at me like I was high for a minute and then said "well, there was brown carpet......" So all this time I thought it was an entirely brown house, and really it was just the carpet. Which makes sense, if you are a rugrat. The carpet was probably all I ever noticed.
This is probably one of the most interesting posts you've written! I was thinking the same thing the other day about the different perspective of people down here who have lived in poverty their entire lives. Also, the difference in my height and what I see as opposed to their view. Then, in the bus, they played the movie "Vantage Point" which reveals a story from several points of view to give the viewer the big picture. I think we've been on a similar wavelength!
Good point on making furniture pretty from all angles...I'll have to remember that.
Thanks for sharing those thoughts. I have wondered about children's perspective on life. You have caused me to think and I agree with what you noticed. Becoming as a child would seem to require that we take time to see life from their view point and that would simplify life and help us prioritize. Eyes are the window to the soul, children are more spiritual and I suspect they perceive more when they look into our faces about love and patience and concern. We cannot hide our true feelings from them and they will learn much more than our words convey. Thanks for sharing. love dad.
I vividly remember playing UNDER the furniture as a child! I have never thought to notice what features my own childrens pictures reflect. Makes me want to dig through their box of kindergarten pictures I have saved.
Post a Comment