8.09.2008

Even More Than Thai Food

Today marks five years that Spencer and I have been married. I want to write something profound and deep and be able to express my tenderest feelings on marriage to this wonderful man. However, given my lack of writing skills paired with the ambiguous nature of the English language, I fear that I will not be able to express through the written or even spoken word my thoughts on this matter. Here is an example: I can say that I love Spencer, but I can also say that I love my sister, pasta, Thai food, or the rain. So does that mean I consider matrimony to be about as good as a nice plate of stuffed raviolis drenched in a delicious white garlic sauce? Of course not. It is much more than that. The word "love" is simply too inexplicit. I will, instead, reminisce a little on the splendid circumstances that brought us together.
Our first introduction was had in a cross walk. This particular cross walk may possibly be the slowest in the entire city (perhaps the world). So, we had time to stand next to each other for awhile, shift our weight several times, and finally make an introduction. That was that. There was no more to that part of the story. I was on my way to my class which was also attended by one of my friends who I was kinda sorta starting to date. So, naturally, my mind was elsewhere.
The next introduction was at a party I had in my condo. Our mutual friend, Jeremy brought him along and I thought he was fun, but didn't really connect with him as I was playing hostess and he was hosting his own card game in the corner.
Then, in late April, something happened that tipped the first domino in the line of events that changed my and Spencer's life forever. Jacob got his mission call. He opened it while I was at work, so I wasn't there to congratulate him and share in his excitement so I met up with him at his wards party instead. There, we shared a table with Jeremy and Spencer. By this time, I was already familiar with Spencer and personally, I was prepared and ready to meet some new men. We fell into conversation easily and next thing I new, I was being invited to go for a night swim with a group of people including Spencer. There were some logistical issues. I had not brought my suit, I lived 15 minutes away, and upon going out to my car (with Spencer and Jeremy) we found the tire to be completely flat. Spencer offered to drive me in his vehicle, and since I was planning on buying a new swim suit anyway, we decided it would be better to shop for a new one then go all the way home. Jeremy came along with us. We shopped at several stores together with no success, but we had fun. Finally we headed back to my house and just got my old suit. By the time we got to the swimming pool, only a few people were there. Jeremy went home because he was heading up to school the next day. So Spencer and I and my friend Samantha talked in the jacuzzi for a long time. I thought Spencer was fun and cute and confident without being cocky. Perfect for my liking. He was also a good guy. At the end of our evening, he took me to my car, filled the tire and said good-bye, but not before getting my phone number and asking if I'd like to hang out sometime. Shortly after I got home, I got a call from him... just making sure I made it home safely and with no tire problems. Ahh... I couldn't get enough of this guy. As it turns out, I didn't have to, because we saw each other every day from that time forth. On the 10th day, we talked about the possibility of marriage and decided to pray about it. The answer I recieved was basically, "Of course". It wasn't emotional, but simply matter-of-fact that I could and should marry Spencer.Is it possible for time to go so fast and still feel like a lifetime? These five years have flown by but have given us so many experiences together. We've had our share of awesome times as well as extreme challenges. For both I'm glad I've been side-by-side with Spencer. This last year has undoubtedly been our hardest time. There have been moments when doubt has crept into my mind and I've wondered if things would have been better another way. It is then I've remembered my feelings from the beginning and the matter-of-fact answer I recieved. The doubts disappears. Our life is far from being worked out and put together perfectly. We have a long way to go in our communication. We could both be better companions for each other. But, in the words of a song that my friends wrote, "together we fight". We fight the message that comes from all around that a marriage can't work, that when hard times come, we're bound to fail. We fight together for the union we have, not with arms but with endurance, trust, faith, and love. I'll fight for that as long as I have to, and in our case, the world will be proven wrong. I love Spencer so much.
Thank you, My Love for five years of growing together. I know we have endless years ahead. I love you even more than Thai food.

10 comments:

Terra said...

Wow, he went shopping with you that early in your relationship and you still ended up together? Dave still won't go shopping with me but prefers to wait in the car with the kids.

Congrats on five years!

Unknown said...

Congrats Crystal! I am so happy for you. I've been able to watch you and Spencer grow in so many ways over the years. I'm still scratching my head trying to believe it's been five years--how did that happen? Anyway, you did a lovely job of expressing your love in this blog. Anyone who knows how much you love Thai food realizes how much that statement really means coming from you :-)
I love you both!

Cristi said...

Crystal, I also LOVE Thai food! Spencer must be a pretty great husband. Congrats on 5 years!

The Bunzells said...

Happy Anniversary!!!

Unknown said...

hoo-rah! five years, before you know it ten'll come wizzin by.
Happy anniversary

Anonymous said...

Congrats! Seems just yesterday we were setting up a very pretty reception in the most HOT part of the summer. he he ... BIG Hugs to you both ... love you!

Micki said...

awwww. . . how perfectly put! I love that last picture. Very sweet.

JJLanier said...

I remember hearing the news of your engagement. I didn't know you well enough then to realize how lucky Spencer was! You have such a cute family Crystal!

CGray said...

That is so adorable. And what are you talking about? Not a good writer? Hah, I saw some amazing stuff in there. You should look at mine, nothing quite as poetic as yours and I'm the one who wants to be a writer.

CCmomma said...

You are so good with words and the crosswalk was awesome. you gravitate to the STREET SCENES don't you? You meet in the street, you birth on the side of the street. JK I love you heeps and thanks for the shameless plug back there!