12.08.2007

Wild Animal Theme

Yesterday was a fun day that ended on a very random note. I took the kids to the zoo in the morning with my friend Jill (from Peoria) and her two kids, Abby and Parker. It was so fun. I absolutely love the zoo... maybe even more than the kids. Looking at all the beautiful animals that I never get to see and learning about them just really intrigues me. My favorites are the primates. I love watching them interact with one another and I often notice similar social behaviors to humans (which also intrigues me). It's really exciting for me. On this zoo trip, however, I think the funnest monkeys to watch were our kids. They are just cute. Abby and Braden are the same age (like a week apart or something) and Parker and Jade are about a month apart, so the kids fit really well together. Abby was Braden's first friend ever. Meaning, the first kid that he connected with the word, "friend". He told me about her after church one day. I asked him if he had any friends in nursery, and he said, "Yes... Abby". He would also say prayers that, "he could be nice to Abby" at night before going to bed. Anyway, where were we? Oh yes, the zoo. So, as I was saying... it was so awesome to watch the kids interact. As soon as Braden saw Abby on the bridge waiting with her mom and brother, he said to me, "I see her. I want to run to her." And then he proceeded to run directly into my legs causing both of us to trip. But, he got up and ran over to her and said, "Hi Abby. I missed you". (I know you want to say it... ahhh, how sweet). We went into the zoo and checked out the giraffes getting fed to start things off. That was cool. They have a neat little tree-house-type thing so that you can look at the giraffes in the eye. The kids loved playing on it (and I really don't blame them). So after that and a quick snack for the kids, we meandered along and looked at many different animals. Braden and Abby had fun holding hands together and running around. They were pretty good about staying near the stroller. Jade was so tired since she had missed her morning nap, so she mostly just stayed in the stroller and asked (well, squawked, really) to get out when a specific animal interested her. At one point in our journey around the zoo, the two older kids decided to start running while holding hands. Just for some background, Abby is about 3-5 inches taller than Braden... so, this activity wasn't a very good idea. As you can imagine, Braden ended up getting pulled to the pavement. He got up and said sternly, "I don't like it when you do that. It makes me fall down. Don't ever do that again." Abby said, "Sorry, Braden" and gave him a big hug (which lasted for almost a full minute). As they stood there locked in their embrace, Jill and I exchanged looks. At least they know how to hug and make up. After that, they were friends again and had a blast the rest of the time (Braden reminded Abby a couple times that he didn't want to run while holding her hand). So, after we ate lunch with the elephants, the younger kids were about done, so we headed out. Right as we started walking, big rain drops started coming down. We got to our cars just in time. The whole visit was so enjoyable. Thank you, Jill for sharing your membership with us! So, you are probably wondering what happened at the end of the day that was so random. Well, your in luck... I'm about to tell you. I was going about my business doing some Christmas gift preparations when I heard a thumping sound. After awhile I heard it again. I thought it sounded like it was coming from the garage, so I peaked out. I saw a big bushy tail run off. Then I noticed the cat food bin lid off and on the ground. I peaked out on the porch to identify what kind of cat could remove that lid, and what did I see? A raccoon running off! Yeah, I know. I'm in a Phoenix suburb. What is a raccoon doing here? I could understand a coyote, maybe a skunk, or even a javalina or something, but I've never seen a raccoon around here. It was pretty crazy. I told the guys, and they ran outside to try to see it, but it was long gone. Pretty random, eh? Maybe it was just here to round out my day with a wild animal theme.

2 comments:

Kevin said...

Awww... Shucks, that's the cutest thing I've seen in a while.

lrbodine said...

Hey Crystal! How are you? I randomly found your page through Heather Ellis's!