12.17.2007

The Awful Waffle

A week ago, we experienced a Christmas tradition like no other. Apparently about 40 years ago, Justin's grandmother (Esther's soon to be granny-in-law) was preparing for Christmas and thinking about Christmas dinner when one of her young children approached her. They said, "I want to make Christmas dinner this year. I would like to have waffles. And I want them to be red and green" She thought about it and decided that it would definitely be original and probably a lot of fun. She suggested to her child that she would make some sausage to go along with it. The tradition was born! All of these years they have been having an annual Christmas (or close to Christmas) waffle dinner. The first year they invited a couple friends and throughout the subsequent years, the party has just avalanched. Now almost 500 people come every year. That's a lot of waffles and sausage, my friends. They call it, "The Awful Waffle". This brings me to my new poll question. What are some of your most cherished Christmas traditions? I included some of the ones I've heard of, but if your isn't on the list, tell me about it on a comment. Every family is so different. It is fun to hear about how people celebrate and make memories. Is yours as crazy as Awful Waffle?

No comments: