8.04.2007
Packing Up and Throwing Things Out
Moving... what a joy. We will be moving at the end of the month and I'm actually quite excited. There is one thing I really like about moving. You get to see EVERYTHING that you own and decide, "Is this something I really need to keep?" and ,"Do I want to go through the trouble of moving this?" And while you are making these decisions, you also get to think on all the memories that each item gives you. I was going through a bottom drawer of a dresser that I was selling. In it I found so many pictures and programs and things that made me remember many fun times with friends and family. It was fun to look at, but it made me realize that, despite my previous perception that I was good at letting go of things, I am actually a huge pack rat. I mean, do I really need every program from my band and symphony concerts from high school? I haven't even looked at those since the night they happened. There were itinerary's from band trips, rewards I had received in elementary school for having a clean desk (if my teacher could only see me now), and various other junk. I also found, a valentine from a bishop that I had when I was 8. Not 18, 8! That was like 16 years ago! I have heard from all the experts on organizing that people keep things because it reminds them of enjoyable times in their life. But, the experts also say that if the item hasn't been looked at or used in the last year, you need to part with it. So, with this move I will be doing just that, packing up and throwing things out!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


4 comments:
I can think of some worse things to keep around than some old stuff.........What? you may ask. You must use your imagination.
I so know what you are talking about, unfortunately I am a pack rat too. Sometimes I keep things so I'll remember them, but that's what journals are for right? I guess i should just be a better journal writer.
oh my gosh, Kara REALLY knows what you are talking about. I am a first hand witness to this! Hey Kara, would it be a good idea for us to pack up and throw things out? Just a thought...
Yeah, Kara's a pack rat. She knows what you are talking about.
Post a Comment