7.01.2011

Crazy Day

What a fun and crazy day yesterday! I took the kids to kids club at the mall in the morning. I really like kids club because it's fun for the kids and being a member allows a free ride on the carousel and a free movie at the dollar theatre too. We made it a little late because Braden's membership badge was misplaced and we had to sign him up again. Braden suggested it would be fun to watch all the silly songs from the 2nd level. I was happy for the suggestion since I had been debating on how I would manage sitting on the floor for an hour in my current state... I could do it, but it may not be so comfortable. When the singing was about done, we headed to the carousel.  Jade got to ride on a white tiger and Braden got to ride on a brown horse since the ostrich was already taken. I get pretty dizzy so I stood by and watched. It was fun to see them enjoying themselves.  Once the ride was over we headed to the theatre.  We decided to watch Rio. It was entertaining, but to be honest I was a bit disappointed by the amount of sexual innuendo and worldliness displayed. I had even checked on the Kids in Mind rating website beforehand and it seemed like it would be OK. Perhaps I am just extra sensitive to things like that right now.

When we got home and had lunch something strange started happening. Our power started failing. It would shut off slowly like a melting popsicle and then come back on after several seconds. It did that a number of times and then finally died completely. We weren't alone in this... a transformer had exploded in the heat and power was down all around Mesa and some parts of Gilbert. Well, we were supposed to have people over to say goodbye to Allen since he is heading to Central America soon with Books for a Better World, but without power our house began to get hotter and hotter. After about 3 hours, the temperature inside was 90* and rising. We decided to go to my parents for the celebration. Allen came by and helped me get the car out of the garage and pack up a lot of our perishable foods and he also brought ice to put on the other food that we had to leave. He seriously saved our food. I couldn't have done that alone. We grabbed some PJ's, pillows and toothbrushes in case we had to make it a sleep over. We had dinner at my parents and I enjoyed the company of Allen and my Mom after putting the kids to bed on makeshift beds. Allen kept checking the power status on his phone. After he went home, the power was still not restored for our area. I was pretty tired so I went to sleep on the couch. This morning after my dad was available to help, we came back home and things are fine. I learned that the power came back on at 11:30pm. I'm so grateful that we had an alternative place to be and that my family put forth so much effort to help us. It was seriously a crazy day.

1 comment:

Kevin said...

I so enjoy checking your blog time to time. Braden and Jade are awesome.