11.11.2010
Grateful For All That We Have
Why is November flying away so fast? It needs to sit and stay awhile. I changed my music on here and then never posted anything, but this really is my favorite time of year. I was thinking about poor poor Thanksgiving the other day. It is absolutely one of my very favorite holidays and yet it is often tossed aside because it is not commercial enough. I mean don't get me wrong, the grocery stores jump on it like a coyote on a turkey leg, but that also doesn't stop them from decking their halls with boughs of holly in the meantime. I recently had an "ah ha" moment about how important Thanksgiving is in relation to Christmas. What would happen if every family in America really celebrated Thanksgiving by giving thanks? Not just a short little glazed over ceremony of naming something obvious to be grateful for... like food whilst sitting in front of a gigantic feast, but parents and children really pondering the multitude of blessings in life. What if families had deep conversations of experiences that have made each person feel gratitude and then practiced acting on that gratitude? What if the marketing bombardment held off a little while on telling us what we want to give us the time to observe all that we have? Can you imagine how different Christmas would be if Thanksgiving was really central the month before? I can. I can imagine how the attitude of "I want..." might change. I can imagine that the feelings of gratitude felt for the gift of our Saviour would multiply. We might not buy as many presents. We may not get as many presents, but what we would gain would be of far greater value. As I have contemplated on this, I have felt the desire to make Thanksgiving an important time in my family. I found an old proverb that says, "The greater wealth is contentment with a little." I believe that is true. The pursuit of more with never satiate if we refuse to see and be grateful for all that we have.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


5 comments:
I think you are REALLY right, however one small thing I do notice and look forward to is adding on to my grocery bill the little 2.50 for a meal for someone else for the holidays everytime I go. I have thought also how great it would be if someone picked up giving to others as some kind of "marketing scheme" the way everyone does for christmas. shelters and charities could overflow and stockpile for the year when donations seem to "dry up" after the holidays.
Wonderful! Thank you Crystal.
This is also my favorite time of year. I love that proverb! You are getting me in the right mood for Thanksgiving.
this was an awesome post and something we all need to remember, like the broadcast today, being grateful for all we have. It's so important to remember all that we have since "i want" is just around the corner. Thanks for this! And yes, I will be mad at you if you eat sweets!!! :):):) JK. But really, than you for doing it with me!
Thank You! Thank You! Thank You!
We are very grateful for you!
It is a wonderful feeling to want less and be grateful for more!
Love You!
Post a Comment