8.29.2010

Chaotic.

Yesterday was my first primary activity as the 2nd counselor in primary. This meant that I was in charge (* cue the intense orchestral music and a staggered zoom-in affect of the camera). Aaaahhhhh! You'd think that planning and carrying out an activity for up to 60 children would be cake, but it was actually a lot of work.  Even more intense than the work was the stress of knowing that if it ended horribly it was due to my poor planning. I'm still processing all the ways it could have gone better. The plan was good, but unfortunately I didn't think of everything... like how the older boys would be rough and competitive, or how some of the activities would take longer than the others in the rotation, or how some kids would sneak into the kitchen to eat cookies. But now I'm more experienced, and those kids won't know what hit them next time. I will be ready for their antics. Ha! Overall, I think the kids did have fun and perhaps they did get some good from it. We talked about what life was like when Jesus lived on the Earth. We talked about how he learned and taught from the scriptures. The kids played "Scripture Story Pictionary". We talked about what people wore. The kids did a "Race of Robes" where they had to get dressed in a tunic, robe and headdress as fast as possible and then take them off and tag the next team mate. We talked about when Jesus called his apostles and invited them by saying, "Come with me and I will make you fishers of men". The kids made a little paper fish that had the scripture written on the back. The activity ended with cookies and a slide show with pictures from Jerusalem. The secretary (who has been in primary for awhile) seemed to think it was a success (or she was being nice). When I got home, I let Braden and Jade wrestle and play in the front room and I just collapsed on the couch and took a power nap. I really love my calling to work with the children in the ward, but sometimes it can be absolutely and exhaustively chaotic.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sounds like a HUGE project/responsibility. I am sure it was awesome!

Chelsea said...

YAY! You did it! and I'm sure it was awesome and the kids will remember it for years to come.

JJLanier said...

Sounds like a fun activity! I'm sure it took a ton of planning time!
I am the primary music leader and I love being with the kids every Sunday.

Lynda said...

It's great to be exhausted when ye are in the service of your fellow beings because ye are only in the service of your God!
It sounds like a perfect activity! The children and their families are blessed to have you serving them!
Love You!