9.18.2008

Violence? Video Below:

The kids did something new today. They started wrestling with each other. Usually Jade is really sensitive and suspicious of Braden and just starts crying if he makes the slightest move of "aggressive" behavior. I really don't blame her as he has been a bully in many instances. Today, however, she was being tough, jumping in there and having the time of her life. Part of me thought that I should make them stop, but they were both being pretty careful, nobody was getting hurt, and neither of them could stop laughing because they were having such fun. I've never seen them do this before, so it threw me for a loop. Is this a normal way of bonding between brother and sister? Anyway, they kept this kind of thing up for about an hour. At this point, I could tell Jade was getting tired and sick of the game. Braden isn't the most intuitive about cues that mean she's had enough, so he started pushing it too far. I had to tell him she was not interested in wrestling anymore and that they should move on to something else and then he stopped pretty quickly. I'd love to hear opinions about this. Is it good to let kids playfully wrestle or does this only serve to cloud the boundaries of violence? Video below:



I don't know what is wrong with the audio, but I'm going to bed.

10 comments:

Natalia Gray said...

i don't know if it is ok or not cuz i've never been a mother or any kind of specialist on the subject. but i have a brother, who's a year & 2 months younger than me & as long as i remember my childhood we always had fights & wrestling & we played different kind of games: girlish & boyish. so i was running with the gun shooting & the other day he'd be playing with dolls. :)

Cristi said...

I don't know if this kind of behavior "clouds the boundaries of violence," but I can tell ya that Peter engages in "wrastlin'" at least once a day with whichever parent will give him the attention. The twins usually join in too, jumping on top of the pile and rolling around. All three of them laugh and have a ball.

ps- he has yet to attack anyone violently if that helps?!?

JJLanier said...

My kids do the same thing- but Andelin never lasts as long. I think it might be a good thing for a girl to be a little bit tough (if only to protect themselves in nursery :). Wrestling is one thing I am surprised has come completely naturally for Dallin- no one had to teach him.
Cute kids!
Thank you for your post on marriage.

The Stanford Bunch said...

I think it's TOTALLY fine! Jonas always wrestles with the girls and they all have fun!

Alisa said...

We sibs wrestled all the time growing up! You mean to say you never wrestled with your brothers? It was great fun and not the least bit harmful in my opinion. :)

Unknown said...

Well My kids wrestle all the time. Paul and I usually break it up because they get way too loud. It is good healthy fun I think. Of course Ryan and I would wrestle as well, however this bouts weren't always nice :)

Anonymous said...

My brother Kevin and I were best buddies when we were little, and we had near death experiences all the time while wrestling. In fact, my two front teeth are mostly fake thanks to Kevin. Hmmm. Maybe I shouldn't have mentioned this. Well, point being is that we wrestled around all the time, and we still loved eachother, even if it occasionally got a bit out of hand. Plus, neither of us has since been convicted of a violent crime, so I'm sure they'll be fine.

LaRee said...

It's funny the places you find out things about your kids. Hmmmmmm..... I am certainly relieved they lived through it. Celestia knocked a tooth half off on the front porch but I imagine from her comment that wrestling was at the bottom of that incident. She went "toothless" a good while until it could be fixed, so if you see any childhood pictures of her with a jagged permanent uppper incisor you will know the source of the problem.
As for wrestling, your children may get more benefits from it physically than if they didn't because of the training and strength it gives their muscles. Emotionally I think it can build feelings of kinship and ideas of fairness, sportsmanship and all that. But I don't really know if I am right.

Anonymous said...

Yes mom, wrestling/fighting was most definitely what sent me down the front stairs face first into the pavement. Fun! Also, it actually got both teeth, but the right side was so much worse than the left that the left wasn't very noticable.I got them both permanently fixed after I turned 18. I still remember feeling vaguely disappointed when grandma had the right side fixed when I was still pretty young, because I couldn't fit a straw through the gap anymore. Kids have weird priorities.

Micki said...

My kids do that all the time. Yours look very mild in comparison. :) and thanks for your comment on my story! It's very encouraging. I'll be adding more when I can.