9.14.2008

What do You Think?

I don't like to write about the same topics right on top of each other, and I know my last post was completely frivolous too, but I just had to show off my new and improved book shelf. I'm really not trying to turn this into a decorators blog, I promise. Anyway, I found this piece of junk book shelf at the local thrift store. It had whitewashed wood on the sides and a white paint that was sloppy and unfinished on and in the shelves. It was UGLY! But, I loved it at first sight because the shelves were the PERFECT height to hold a DVD, and shallow enough that it wouldn't take up space in the room. After having our DVDs stacked on the TV stand for several months, I was sick of straightening them all the time and trying to keep them off the floor, and this was the solution I had been looking for. My plan was to give it a nice clean paint job in either white or black. However, I saw this cool paper idea on the Better Homes and Gardens website and loved it. So, basically the transformation just took some black paint around the exterior of the unit (to make it pop), some clean white around the inside of the shelves and some varied (but similarly themed) scrapbook paper for the back of the shelves. I also got a few accessories in a lime green (the new accent color I am using in the front room). I am super happy with how it turned out. What do you think?

10 comments:

Unknown said...

I must have had tunnel vision to miss this yesterday at your house! It is SOOOO AWESOME!

Alisa said...

Adorable! It looks fun and not too expensive--right up my alley. Now I have visions for my boring old wood bookshelves....

d.jo said...

CUTE! When are you going to make me one? You could sell those!

The Stanford Bunch said...

awesome, come decorate my house next! :)

Tiffany SB said...

I love your bookshelf. What a great idea. Looks like I need to shop at the thrift store more. Your house is so cute. I just started a blog. You should check it out sometime. WWW.scott-tiffany.blogspot.com

heidi said...

I love it!!! I am sorry we missed you guys this weekend as well. We will be back again during Christmastime, hopefully we can see you then! This is Heidi by the way, I think my name will say, family so you might not know who that is from.

Kristi said...

Wow! The bookshelf is so cute! I am amazed by your creativity. By the way, thanks for commenting on my blog!

Jessica said...

WOW!!!! I love looking at that bookshelf! Not only could you sell bookselves like that, you could sell PICTURES of bookshelves like that! :)
You're awesome at decorating, Crystal! :) Isn't it so much fun to find the perfect thing--that's the perfect price?! I love that it's so tall, cuz then you can only fill the shelves halfway and still admire the beautiful scrapbook paper!
By the way, even Jed is super impressed!

Lynda said...

It turned out spectacular!
I'm glad that you finally found the papers that you were wanting.

LaRee said...

Yeah, yeah, yeah. What everyone else said. The wicked fairy