The hip-thrust competition is well under way.
7.29.2008
The Mercury Game
The rumor is true, we went to a WNBA game last Friday, Phoenix Mercury vs Seattle Storm. Oh boy! Now, I have to be honest, when I heard that Spencer had acquired these tickets through the KTAR website, I actually laughed audibly at the prospect of watching a bunch or women play "professional" basketball together. I was excited about it, but more for the social aspect of it than to seriously get into the game. Not to be harsh on my sex, but come on... there are just certain muscles that are bigger and stronger on men than on women (try the entire upper body), and I thought for sure that this was going to be more like a comedy club than a sporting event. We had 4 tickets, so we invited my younger brother, Jacob and his date, Erica to come along with us. Jacob also works down town, so I picked up Erica and we met the boys and walked to U.S. Airways Center together. I have never seen so many butch women in my life. It was pretty disturbing when I couldn't tell if they were a man or women. But enough about that aspect... We had a fun time at the game. The company was great, and we all had fun laughing. The game play itself was pretty slow compared to men's basketball, but they had a few good plays. It was funny because they would do a play like what Steve Nash does EVERY time he runs the ball down the court, and the entire center would erupt in thunderous cheering. I found the comic irony in the situation and enjoyed it immensely. Another aspect of the entertainment that is worthy of mention is the entertainment during time-outs and half time. This is where I felt kinda bad for these women. Here they were trying their hardest to play and put on a good game, and then the producers scrape together anyone who is available to come on for the between time. It was like a joke. During one of the time-outs, they had this company set up two of their exercise machines, and the host, Weezy, had two audience members do a hip thrust competition on them... how many hip thrusts they could do in a minute or something. It was one of those moments that I felt embarrassment for another person. "Yeah, I did a hip thrust competition at a Mercury game. It was the coolest!" Scary. My favorite in between entertainment were the little kid dancers from Arizona Elite.They weren't professional, but the little preschool ones were so cute. Along with the tickets to the game, we all got free hot dogs and soda and the crowning jewel of the evening... a free Mercury T-shirt. Jacob and Spencer decided they would share it and wear it to their Tuesday night basketball games. Classy. So, after all was said and done, and despite the horrible hip-hop dancers and slow basketball, we all had a pretty good time at the Mercury game.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)







2 comments:
I won't say "I told you so." hahaha! So, I'm glad you had a great time even though you were mostly making fun of the entire event. I would have done the same thing--believe me. Oh, and I laughed out loud at the thought of the hip thrust competition! That's too much! I think the first thing I'm gonna do when I get back to PHX is buy season tickets ;-)
Oh my gosh, I love Erica Dyer! Tell Jacob he needs to marry her :) She was in my singles ward for a long time. We also went to a mercury game not too long ago (see my blog). Did you enjoy the hip hop team? ;)
Post a Comment