4.14.2008

See You On The Other Side!

Braden has been learning a lot about money lately, and we have enjoyed giving him the responsibility of saving coins that he gets here and there. Today, Spencer gave him a penny and told him to be responsible for it and not to lose it. We were on the road when he announced "I swallowed the penny." At first I thought that he was telling us something from his imagination, so I asked, "Are you pretending that you swallowed the penny, or did you really swallow it?" He said, "I really swallowed it. I'm sorry. My teeth just pushed it down my throat." He doesn't usually lie, so although I found it hard to believe, I did trust him (after asking him another 5 times or so). Spencer and I looked at each other... another first as parents... a semi-large foreign object in the digestive system. We both felt it unnecessary to race off the ER, so we decided to call our cousin, Marie, instead (an ER nurse). Luckily, she was awake and available and reassured me that kids swallow coins all the time and they are generally fine. She's even seen kids who have swallowed larger coins... but they are round and pretty smooth and "pass" without problems. She did recommend just for peace of mind to "be on the look out" for that unlucky penny during potty time. So, heres to you Mr. Penny... see you on the other side!

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

If it makes you feel any better I swallowed a sewing pin, while I was 8 months pregnant with Hailey. They were unable to retrieve the pin and it "passed" just fine. If a straight pin go through a penny can.

Cristi said...

We just had our own "almost" ER visit when we suspected that Jack had swallowed a straight pin. It all worked out (I don't think he swallowed any, although I did catch him with a few in his mouth!).

Alisa said...

Yikes, good thing he didn't choke! I swallowed a nickel at age 5 and never saw it again...I assume it went through. :-) No problems from it!

lrbodine said...

Ellie swallowed a safety pin when she was around 9 months old. I read on the internet all these scary things about it opening up and doing damage inside of her. But luckily - it passed and I found it (closed still and all).

Micki said...

classic. Things I have found my kids' have swallowed: paper clip, coin, string, dental floss (My son is in to chewing on stringy stuff). I've been priveleged to find out only after diaper change time. :)

Anonymous said...

That is so funny! I can see your faces as he pronounces the penny lost! Wish I were there ... though I am not sure I would have been much help. I am pretty sure I would have just laughed. :)

Thanks Braden for the chuckles today!

CCmomma said...

Good to know for the future! That is hilarious!

Anonymous said...

I hope I don't have the priveledge of seeing "Mr. Penney" on the other side! :) Happy searching! That was a funny ending to a scary story!

Unknown said...

Somebody needs a piggy bank! That's no way to save coins! :-)