10.31.2007

Let's Just Hope it Sticks!


I just spent about 5 hours having a "potty party" with Braden. I used some of the methods from the book, "Toilet Training in Less Than a Day", written in 1976. Let me say, Braden can pack in the liquids. He drank 3 juice boxes, 3 cups of chocolate soy milk, and 2 cups of punch. This gave him lots of oppourtunities to go to the bathroom (one of the suggestions in the book). I gave him complete 1 on 1 attention and praised him every time he completed one of the "steps" properly. I also gave him treats (as seen on his face and shirt in the picture) and toys which tapered off toward the end of the party (so that he won't be expecting them forever). This party was a chance to prove to him that he can be successful at potty training, and that it really is better to be clean and dry. It was very positive, and he responded very well to it. He's now officially not using diapers any more. We'll see how things go in the next few days, but whatever happens, I won't be putting him in another diaper (OK, maybe a pull-up at night). I'm glad that I had this chance to show Braden what a big independent boy he can be without his diapers. Let's just hope it sticks!

5 comments:

Cristi said...

Great idea to have a "potty party." I'll have to talk to you when I train the twins!

Alisa said...

Great for Braden! I will also have to get potty-training advice from you in the future. :-)

Anonymous said...

I LOVE potty trained! Just so you know weston was 100% potty trained during the day but took him about 6 mos to catch up at night, pull ups at night made much less stressful for him because he wasn't "wetting the bed" anymore

CCmomma said...

Love that idea, let me know the long term stuff keep us posted on progress. Brielle has gone afew times but would just run around naked. She's just not ready quite yet.

Unknown said...

Interesting choice of the word "sticks" in the title. I don't think we want any stickiness in this scenario...lol! Good luck!