7.26.2007

Beets: It's Whats for Dinner


Tonight for dinner, Kevin made us an authentic Ukrainian meal called Borsch. It's soup. It was super tasty. The ingredients are beets, onions, cabbage, potatoes, tomato paste, pork, and water. You let it simmer for hours and all the flavors meld together. Then you serve it with a dollop of sour cream. Now, I'm not very fond of beets or cabbage, so I had my doubts. However, I was pleasantly surprised. It really helps to have the fresh beets. I think my dislike for beets came from eating the canned kind once. And let me tell you, it only took once for me to loath them. But, the fresh beets are actually pretty good and the combination of all the flavors was surprisingly complimentary. And to top it off, it's beautiful. I know, it's food. But seriously, the beets and tomato paste make the whole thing a deep scarlet color. Talk about an impressive dish! So if anyone is looking for a good meal... Beets: It's Whats For Dinner! he he (I'm so cheesy)

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

I made borsch for my 6th grade world fair since I did it on Russia. Let's just say I had PLENTY of leftovers afterwards.

Unknown said...

I need to try that someday. I'm having trouble believing you about how good it is.

Spencer Lilly said...

This meal was interesting. Daniel Shaw came over and ate with us and I was very sarcastically telling him on the phone while the meal was being prepared how this meal had my favorite vegetables in it, Beats and Cabbage. But it was surprisingly good. I mean O.K., I mean hearty. Maybe I just mean "healthy" and all that that entails.

Anonymous said...

Hey, I'm just this anonymous person who happens to live in the same house as Spencer and Crystal, and I tasted some of the Borsch that Kevin made. He's awesome, like a mentor to me. His cooking is spectacular! The borsch-- delish.

Anonymous said...

I went to Ukraine for a study abroad right before I was married and lived with a Ukrainian lady for about 7 weeks. She cooked a lot of borscht. I didn't like it at first, but by the end of my stay, I loved it. Can I get the recipe? I miss it. I haven't had a good bowl of borscht in three + years.

Anonymous said...

I went to Ukraine for a study abroad right before I was married and lived with a Ukrainian lady for about 7 weeks. She cooked a lot of borscht. I didn't like it at first, but by the end of my stay, I loved it. Can I get the recipe? I miss it. I haven't had a good bowl of borscht in three + years.