
So yesterday Spencer and Kevin went to the store to get some milk. They returned home with some milk and lots of other things... including Oreos. Spencer started making dinner and Braden asked if he could have another Oreo. I told him he could have one more and I took it over to him. Then I stayed next to him and began nibbling on my Oreo. He then said to me, "Can you go to Kevin?" I was like, "What do you mean." He then repeated, "Can you go to Kevin?" I said, "Do you want me to stand by Kevin?" (He was in the kitchen a little ways away) He said yes. I asked him why he wanted me to stand by Kevin. He simply, without any emotion in his voice, stated, "I don't really like you." Then he added as if it was a consolation, "I like Daddy." I said calmly, "Oh, thats not very nice, but if you don't want me around right now, I can leave." (I was trying to respect his need for space and independence). He said, "I don't really want you around." Ouch. I know he is just a kid, and doesn't fully understand the power of words, but despite my efforts to speak reason to my heart, I was crushed. Who knew that I could be injured from those 5 little words; "I don't really like you."


2 comments:
Don't let Braden's one attempt at exerting himself outweigh the hundreds of times he's said "I Love You Mommy!" The kids adore you so much. No matter what they say in the heat of the moment, you will always be the light of their life and mine!
That little stinker! That glare of his could burn through plate steel.
Post a Comment