6.30.2007

Afraid To Be Frugal

You find them in Dollar Stores, at Goodwill on 50% off Saturdays, at the bakery outlet buying day-old bread, or on Craigslist searching the free category. These are people who get buyers remorse after buying a skirt for less than $4 on clearance at Ross. They are the penny-pinchers of the world! I would like to publicly announce that I am one of these. Even if I had money, I think I would still head for the clearance rack first. Sometimes this is good and sometimes this is bad. It is good that I can stretch our money for the things that my family needs. It is bad that when I receive a gift from someone, I often think about returning it if it is not something I absolutely need (even if I love it and really do want it). So why am I this way? Well, I think most of you know my dad right? he he he. That might have something to do with it. (I love you, Dad).
Anyway, I wanted to tell you a story of triumph that happened to me today. This morning I headed to Goodwill at 10 minutes till 7 to get there when it opened. Today was a 50% off everything sale (come on... it's already a thrift store for crying out loud!) I was going to look for good quality kids clothes and some bathroom storage solutions for our new home being built in Queen Creek. So, there I was, searching the clothing racks meticulously. I had already chosen some good things and had them in my basket when a lady approached me. She said something to the affect of ,"Hey, I noticed you had kids clothes in your cart." She then proceeded to tell me about a store called "Other Mother." It is a second-hand exchange place that specializes in stuff for kids and moms. Then she let me in on a little-known fact. Every Saturday from 8-11:00, they put a bunch of stuff out and it would all cost $0.25 a piece! And, whats more, it was right across the street! Anyway, after I had finished up at Goodwill, I decided I may as well check it out. I went there and was looking for a bin. I heard some voices out back and the back door was propped open, so I poked my head out. There I saw about 4 huge tables piled with clothes. At first it was kind of hard to start looking. There were so many ladies digging through the piles there was hardly room left at the tables edge. Clothes were flying past my face in all directions. I decided that I better just jump in. So that is what I did! They had a bunch of good stuff. I ended up with a couple of shirts and little tennis dresses for Jade, some shirts for Braden this winter, and even a dang cute shirt for me! I spent a little under 2 bucks and got 7 things! Talk about a blessing!
So, if you are one of us, don't hang your head in shame. Go to that clearance rack. Clip those coupons. Take full advantage of those 10 for 10 sales. Sew your own stuff. Shop around. Barter if necessary. And yes, dig. Dig in those piles of clothes and come out with something great. Don't ever be afraid to be frugal.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

You, my dear friend, are a freak. But dont get me wrong. It's not in a bad way but a very endearing way. I bow down to you in the "save my money" department. How much do you charge for lessons?

Kevin said...

Next time you're there see if you can snag a leotard for me;)

Spencer Lilly said...

Do they have leotards in my size too?

Just Asking....

Anonymous said...

I have been wondering what to get you for your B-day Spencer. What color would you like that leotard in?

Crystal, way to go on being frugal! You sure get a lot for your money. You have been very blessed to have, even a few dollars to be frugal with.
With Love, Mom