What we've been up to lately: Well, we had a dog for a week. He was a really good dog, but we didn't enjoying having canine companionship as I hoped we would. We were able to find him a family that does love dogs and I'm sure he is much happier. Other than that, I've just been trying to be a good housekeeper (ha ha) and planning and preparing for camp. I have about 2-4 meetings a week most of the time. Luckily many of these I can take the kids to and they get to play with friends. I really love the camp meetings. They are effective, efficient, and most of all very spiritual. Camp is taken so seriously and every detail is planned to help the girls feel the love of the Savior and understand their divine nature as daughters of a loving God. It's an awesome thing to be a part of. Another awesome thing to be finished being a part of is school. I graduated from University of Phoenix in February. I earned my Associate of Art in Business and I'm glad to be done with that for a season. I'm sure I'll go back to pursue further degrees, but for now I'm focusing on other things. Currently our Saturdays are being spent prepping our yard for the amazing landscaping we will be putting in. Ok, it may not be amazing to many peoples standards, but we've spent the last year with dirt and weeds, so when it's done, it will amaze me every time I look outside. The plan is mostly grass with a shade tree and some other simple features. We will also be adding concrete to extend our patio a bit. I wish we could afford to cover it, but we are being very careful with saving most of our tax return this year. We recently heard that the helicopter loan from way back when will be out of litigation and that we might be receiving bill of payment soon. Although we haven't heard anything from the company yet, we believe the wisest thing to do is to only carry out
some of our home improvement plans and basically save every other penny we may get back. At least it comes at a time when we do have some flexibility. I feel very blessed. Other things we've been doing lately include getting Braden ready for Kindergarten. We went to his schools open house and had a lot of fun. He'll be going in for placement tests in April and we'll see how he does. Ever since I told him about the tests, he's wanted to practice reading with me more. He's getting pretty good at the simple short-vowel words such as: "cat", "log", "ham", "sat", etc. The ones that are hard are the sight words. So far he gets "the" and "a" most of the time, but has trouble with things that seem simple like "I". He tries to connect it to the word that follows to make sense of it. For instance, "I sat' he would read as isat. I have to remind him that when it's alone it says it's own name. The other struggle is books with pictures. He tries to guess what the words are saying to get through the book quicker. I no longer read with him without a handy sheet of paper to cover the illustrations. Once he reads a page, I uncover the picture. I'll be happy when he can get education from a real teacher. Teaching someone to read is tricky. I know I will miss him being at home, though. Jade is growing up really fast. Her little personality is really blossoming. She's like a little lady. I love my kiddos and I've been feeling much happier being a mom lately. And that is a short summary of what we've been doing lately.

6 comments:
You have been busy! Congrats on the yard - that is a fun accomplishment. I envy your involvement with Girls Camp and YWs. I want be a YW leader, at least once in my lifetime, but I don't know if that will ever happen. I seem to be destined for RS and Primary. Don't get me wrong. I LOVE those callings, but I would like to do YW once. I don't doubt that working with the youth is just as amazing, ya know?
Good luck in all your ventures!
We went 3 years with a huge lot of dirt so I can attest to how wonderful it is to have GRASS in the backyard. Although now we struggle with keeping up with the weeds and everything - but I love my backyard now!
I don't think I realized how much work was put into girl's camp. Sounds like a great experience!
That's awesome you're working with Braden and that he's responding so well! Adelyn was reading before kindergarten, too, but I can't get Kyler to even sit still long enough to care. But, everyone goes at their own pace. One thing I learned, though, is that it's actually encouraged for kids to look at the pics in stories to figure out the words. It helps with reading comprehension and giving meaning to the words. Maybe when he sees the word "I" you could point to the picture and show him that the dinosaur is talking about himself so he's saying "I".
Yay for a yard and your kids are getting so big and are so cute! Miss ya!
You are a busy mommy! Better busy then boring - lol ... I love your pictures. Your babies are so big! I cannot believe it. They are little people now. :(
Hugs!
Braden is doing a good job. It actually sounds like he's employing sophistocated skills that have to be taught to many kids. It's good to let him look at the pics & guess (unless you think he's just trying to be lazy...I have seen that, too. : ). But in general the pictures are there for context clues. I would even tell my 6th graders to look at the pictures. Even in text books later, there are visual aids to help you along with the content.
Also, I think it's actually good that he's trying to put the sounds together. Blending is a skill that I'm trying hard to teach to some of my 4 year old kids in preschool. As you keep working with him, it won't be long before he catches on to the difference between "I sat" and "isat". By the way, have you seen the website www.starfall.com? It's a totally fun little (not to mention free) sight that's an interactive way to help kids read. What's cool is that you can click on words in the books on the screen & it'll model the word. Great stuff. I do it with Tyson ALL THE TIME, and he loves it.
You're a good mom, Crystal. I like to read your blog posts, too.
Post a Comment