Did you realize that if I had done 1 more post last year, it would have made 100? I'm glad you enjoyed that random fact. Life has been very good for me lately. I've been thinking a lot about music and have determined some things about myself and my relationship with music. These thoughts started after I took a self-evaluation regarding learning styles, or the most effective ways I can learn. I scored very high in musical intelligence. According to the test this means that I think musically and therefore learn well through music related methods. Around this same time I began to become interested in making my own music and started writing some lyrics. I've never written lyrics before, but lately they have just started running through my head and I have to sit down and start typing them out before they're gone. Sometimes I will think of a whole song together, others it's just concept ideas or short hooks. I've been enjoying working on the lyrics and hopefully someday, I'll have the chance to put some to music.
Throughout my life I have had the ability to understand lyrics in almost any piece of music. I can usually learn at least the chorus and a few lines from the verses after hearing a song once. I've also always been very picky about music for as long as I remember. I think one of the reasons for this is because I have a very strong emotional response to music. If a rap song is cheapening women in some way (as they often do), I will start to feel the effects of that and feel so uncomfortable and devalued. A sweet and moving symphonic piece has the power to make me cry. A good beat will almost always make some part of me move. When I'm shopping I'll sing along to even the cheesiest music and I always hear what is playing on the overhead speakers. I think of songs while I'm doing things and my life definitely has a soundtrack. It didn't really occur to me that some people do not respond to music in this way until recently. I think I finally realized it when my friend said something like, "Sometimes, I just forget to turn music on". That has never happened to me that I can remember. If music is not on it's because I have made the conscious choice to leave it off. Some people have the ability to hear music as background noise. They may not recognize the lyrics in a song. The beat won't make them feel like dancing. They won't be able to recall the songs they were listening to if asked later. This is not me.
Lately I have been very interested in the psychology of music... especially when used for marketing purposes. I've started to be able to tell the class of a store based on the music coming from the speakers overhead. If the music is relevant to the store products, aimed at a specific costumer base and tasteful this means the company has considered the importance of musical psychology and hired someone who makes the big bucks to create their play lists. I was in Victoria's Secret and I noticed that all the songs were about desire or temptation or something like that. They didn't sound sleazy up front, but let's just say that the lyrics were very pertinent to the products in the store. I'm not saying I like that sort of music, but it made sense to me that they would play it. Most of the little shops in the mall are like this. They play specific music for their main customer base. On the other hand, some stores just play whatever. I know this shouldn't bother me, but every time I go to Fry's I hear that song about some Rio dancer dancing on the sand or "She Blinded me With Science" and wonder WHY? How do these songs encourage people to buy (or even want to stay) in their store. It gets even worse at places like DollarTree or Saver's. I actually heard a song with the words, "Driving that train, high on cocaine..." at DollarTree yesterday. Wow. I would have to say that not a lot of thought went into that play list. I wonder if this trend that I have noticed actually matters? How much of musical marketing goes on to affect the bottom line? I would be interested in finding out.
Anyway, I'm starting to lose my point in writing this post, but I think it is that my life would cease to exists as I know it without music. If suddenly all the music was turned off, I would notice it in a major way and I'm sure I would feel as if a part of me was gone. For better or for worse music will always be a huge influence in my life and a vital piece of me.
1.04.2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


4 comments:
Great thoughts, Crystal! I've always felt as you do. My sisters used to fall asleep to music blaring in their room - literally. I finally had to tell them to turn it down, because for me, I don't hear it as background noise either. I would lie awake for HOURS following the lyrics or the musical phrasing. It would drive me crazy if I was especially tired.
I think a huge part of me would die if I didn't have music in my life.
very intresting post. Makes me want to take that online test. I remember listening to a song on an easy listening station. I had heard this song a bunch of times but suddenly this time I found myself singing ALL the lyrics, they had seeped into my brain. And they were horrible, vulgar, and descriptive. I could not believe this song was on this particular station and was even more horrified that I knew all the words. It really made me think more carefully about the music I was hearing. Was it nice music? Or did it just "sound nice" as was the case with this song.
I'm definitely on the same page with you when it comes to music! Why do you think working at Fry's for a year almost drove me crazy! LOL Oh, and Dollar Tree--that makes sense that they would have drug-related songs with all the crack heads that shop there. J/K...I shop there too :(
Anyway, I think more companies need to take notice on this topic. The following is a list of places who get an "A" on matching music to their market/brand:
American Eagle
Target (of course)
Hollister
Abercrombie
Victoria Secret
McDonalds (believe it or not)
WaMu (not for long)
Hooters
GAP, Banana Republic, Old Navy
Apple Store
Corrie's Blog LOL
Here are some failures I've noticed recently:
JC Penny (YUCK why did I even go there?)
Fry's (like you said)
Chinese Buffets (usually)
Chase hold music (r they hoping you'll hang up?)
Food City (they were playing English music last time I was there!)
For being dubbed a "music person" in my ward (I play the piano, sing and lead music), I don't have as close of a relationship to music as you do. I mostly ignore the music in stores, but sometimes I find it really annoying when it's loud and obnoxious. Or when I used to work and I had to listen to the same songs every day. Ugh! I think music affects all of us whether we realize it or not. I agree that music is powerful. I hope you write some songs. I'd love to hear them!
Post a Comment