Growing up in Gilbert means that I'm used to constant road construction. The road that I took to get to high school was under construction for three of the four years I attended, and throughout the city, you can always find a place that is completely torn up and pinched down to one lane. I guess since I'm so used to it, I find it more funny than frustrating. Right now, three out of four routes to our apartment are a complete disaster. The condition changes from hour to hour, so I never really know what the best direction will be. I dropped by my in-laws house today. On our way home, I went through one of these disaster zones and finally made it into the left turn lane to turn down the street we live off of. While we were waiting to turn, a construction crew member came down the line and told each of us that the turn lane was temporarily unavailable since the giant steam roller was going through the intersection to smooth down the new tar. So this meant I had to continue to wait and then go around the block to get to our home. I decided since it was going to be very slow going (both lanes were forced to go straight and squeeze into one lane) I would roll down the windows, let the beautiful cool air in, and take a few camera phone pictures of the construction. I live about 4 minutes from my in-laws usually, but yesterday the trip took about 20 minutes. Road construction is the best!
The Big Steam Roller doing it's job.




4 comments:
and you thought you would actually be getting home so you could get something done! I agree--it seems like they are working on the same sections of roads all the time!!
Jill
I am glad you could be calm about it. It's nice when you can be relaxed and not get stressed out, like when you are on your way to a timed appointment or the kids are SCREAMING in the back.
Yeah, I'm never that relaxed about construction problems. I just get flashbacks to two summers ago when the only road into my community flooded. The result was an entire month (while they rebuilt the road and built a bridge) of a 30 mile (yes, that is correct) detour around the Indian Reservation just to get what should have been about 3/4 of a mile drive. I still have nightmares. I suppose good humor is the way to go though. It's not like you have any control over the situation.
Oh my goodness, I think I was stuck in the exact same traffic. I was at least on SSS like that, trying to get to the mall. Ugh! I have to admit, I was one of the frustrated ones. Luckily Natalie was enjoying her CD so much she didn't mind. :)
Post a Comment