9.10.2007

The Simple Life


We have lived in the Shaw's house for about 2 weeks now. Through living here I have come to realize something... happiness can't be bought. Let me explain how I have come to learn this. About four months ago, we had a plan. It was a great plan... build a brand new house, have Spencer graduate, have money every month to pay off school debt, be self-sufficient, be able to decorate our first "real" house, upgrade some of our "old" stuff, have a backyard that we designed especially for the kids etc...everything we wanted, right? Then our plan started to unravel a thread at a time. Our house was going to be finished three months ahead of schedule. Spencer was going to graduate three months behind schedule. His flights kept getting rescheduled. He quit his job to focus his energies toward graduating, but nothing seemed to work. We knew we would not be prepared in time for the purchase of our home. And yet, we still had to move somewhere. I was in a state of confusion and stress and I could see no solution for our situation. When Spencer approached JulieAnn about moving our family into a room in the basement, she was overjoyed and immediately agreed. Since that moment, I have felt nothing but peace and comfort. I now think I understand why we are here. The Shaw's house is a house of appreciation and love. Appreciation is shown for everything. Nothing is taken for granted or wasted. Love is felt and shown not only throughout their family, but toward our family as well.
I think back on my master plans for our new life to come. I was going to have an amazingly decorated home with things custom to us so that everything would have a place. Of course, there had to be a separate room for each child, and a bathroom that they could share. I was going to get all new plates and bowls because I was bored of the ones I had (and plus they didn't coordinate with my new colors). Also, our washer and dryer were old, so I needed and was planning on getting brand new front loading wonders of humongous capacity. Naturally, when we were picking options, we had to upgrade the flooring, because laminate is unacceptable and boring looking carpet is completely unlivable. The colors all had to go perfectly together with the right contrast. And, (I say with regret) the list went on. These were the things that would make our life awesome... we would be so happy.
Contrast this to our current situation. We live in a room (granted it is pretty large) in the basement. Many of our boxes are stacked on top of one another separating a section of the room for the kids. Both of their toddler beds are on one side of the boxes, and on the other side is our bed. Most of our stuff is still packed. We all share a bathroom with Esther and Nathan downstairs. The house is very comfortable looking without immaculate or trendy decorations. The decorations hung on the walls represent family, country, and church. The kitchen doesn't have a microwave. The washer and dryer are old. The carpet is old, but clean. The dishes in the kitchen are mismatched and they don't coordinate with the room. And all I can say is that it is a beautiful house. I am so very happy here.
So, what are the ingredients for happiness, then? It's obviously not having a bunch of stuff, and living the "dream life" that is pictured all around us. This is what I have re-learned by living here. Happiness is about being in an environment of unconditional love, service, faith, and respect... about appreciating the many blessing I have and being a good steward to the resources I am given... and about sharing and being generous to people always, not just in times of prosperity. So, thank you to all who have helped me understand this, and thank you, Shaw's for showing me the beauty and letting me experience a little slice of the simple life.

5 comments:

Unknown said...

Well said! I'm glad you guys are enjoying living at the Shaw's house. Have fun!

Anonymous said...

That was very interesting Crystal and hit very close to home of all the same feelings I had when Kevin and I bought our first home. When we first got married we lived in a tiny, dingy apartment next to ASU with a community washer/dryer and almost no furniture. Now we live in a nice house with most of those things you were talking about but sometimes I think we were happier at the beginning when we focused more on those good things of life that you mentioned.
-Marie Schwallier

Anonymous said...

CRYSTAL, ISN'T IT SO CRAZY THAT WHEN YOU TRY TO DO THINGS YOUR WAY, THEY FALL APART...BUT, WHEN YOU LET GO AND LET GOD DO THINGS HIS WAY, THEY WORK OUT?...DON'T WORRY, I AM NOT PREACHING...JUST SPEAKING FROM EXPERIENCE...LOL!!! HATE TO SAY I STILL TRY TO DO THINGS MY WAY EVERYTIME...WHEN WILL I LEARN???

Anonymous said...

Learning great lessons from lifes experiences. You can never go wrong doing Heavenly Father's will. You are a very wise daughter. Thanks for sharing.
With Love, Mom & Dad

Anonymous said...

Thank you for sharing your feelings and life's most important lessons with me.You have expressed so beautifully what happiness really is and what counts in life.
Looking back on my own life I realize that in all those times when we didn't have all the material things we desired, Heavenly Father enriched our souls with spiritual gifts and gratitude for little things.
Lessons like these keep our hearts soft and open for heavenly inspiration.
Love, Isabella